Thursday, August 2, 2012



MOCK CHOPPED LIVER

As a child, I loved the delicious chopped liver my Mother made on special occasions.  Of course back then no one worried about the high level of cholesterol chopped liver could produce with its fried beef liver, hard-boiled eggs, and schmaltz (rendered chicken fat).  Over the years I made it a few times, although I hated the work involved -- frying and then grinding the liver.

But a few years ago I ate mock chopped liver at a friend’s house and it was great.  Plus, instead of liver the recipe calls for walnuts and a can of peas.  It’s almost impossible to believe those two ingredients can produce the same taste as chopped liver.  But it does.  Actually I think the key is that in addition to the nuts, peas, and eggs, the recipe calls for several large onions slowly sautéed in olive oil.

So last week, when it was my turn to hostess my bridge group, I decided to serve mock chopped liver with small strips of celery and they loved it.   It makes a big batch, so of course, I had quite a bit left. And I’m glad I didn’t have to worry about high cholesterol, because I ate it all up in no time at all.

By Hannah
www.FunnyPhotosContest.com a photo contest for cute or funny photos and photo captions.

No comments: